Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A bit of culture


This weekend the temperature rose to 35c just in time for the bank holiday. Saturday I went to Tai-Bo with Kiren and Nick in Ikebukuro....Nick's coordination skills earned him a few scowls from Kiren but the teacher was hilaruous so I think she distracted from most of his "independent" moves!
After all that exercise me and Kiren met up with Andy her her co-workers in Shinjuku for lots of food and alcohol....that's what I call a balanced lifestyle!!

Since living in Tokyo the most culture I have expreinced is going to the Earthqueake simulation/museum and dancing to Japanese Techno DJ's....I think that counts right?! So to top it up on Sunday I went to Kamakura with Kiren and Andy to watch "Yabusame" - Galloping horses clad in samurai armour provide a speeding platform for displays of yabusame (mounted archery).

riders preparing

live music...

japan pose...
.....andy
After spending a few hours standing in the beating heat of the sun watching the festival we took the local train to Shonan beach for a swim in the sea. Japan is renowned for having less than perfect beaches so we weren't put off by the seaweed floating around us as we cooled down in the water.

beautiful scenery

sunset at shonan
With Monday off work and the sun still shining I spent the day adventuring on my bike and visited Toshimaen, not too far from my house, and found the area had a water park, theme park, cinema and day spa. After achieving a nicely red forehead and arms from cycling all afternoon, I met Kudo-san for dinner in Ebisu, and we found a place that served one of our favourite drinks - machori - a Korean sake and really nice food, finishing off the 3 day weekend nicely.
Next weekend is also a 3 day weekend...its a tough life, but someones got to do it ;-)

No comments: